Thursday, August 31, 2006

Random Notes From the Gangetic Plain

  • Yesterday I watched a man chase a cow down an alley. The man was cruising (and cursing) at top speed. The cow held a sturdy box the size of a large microwave high in his mouth and trotted faster than I assumed possible for such a big beast. The cow had apparently absconded with the box which belonged to the man and, as I've seen on many occasions here, was trying to eat it.
  • Last night I stood on the roof of our hotel and watched flock after flock of green parrots fly into the grove of large trees in the center of Khajuraho, the town we've been visiting. The 'migration' starts about the time the evening sun hits the horizon and continues unabated for a good 30-40 minutes. The parrots, emerald green with the long tail feathers you might know from your pet store, flew in groups of twenty-five to well over a hundred. I'd never seen anything like it before. The flocks came in from the countryside and they just didn't stop. Parrots are loud birds and as the main roosting flock grew, all of Khajuraho was immersed in a cacaphony of squawking. There were easily over a hundred thousand birds. You can see the evidence on the walks beneath the trees today. Eww...
  • In a couple hours we get on a bus to Varanasi, holiest of Hindu cities. It'll be at least fifteen hours across the Gangetic Plain of north central India. Ouch. The last time I was in India, I was so fascinated by that city I made the effort to go a second time at the end of my trip. Probably no single place has made a stronger impression on me. I'm eager (and a bit apprehensive) to return.

No comments: