Thursday, May 24, 2007

Old Folks At Home

Since we've been in China, I've had a feeling of comfort and I couldn't quite put my finger on why. China seems exceptionally safe. It's relatively (for now) cheap. As I've mentioned, the people are exceptionally helpful and friendly. That said, seldom have I felt so at ease in a country. After spending more time here, I think I can see one reason why.





Much like the older people of India, elderly Chinese, for lack of a better way to describe it, aren't afraid of being freaky. The old people rock styles that would make the illustrator of any book of childrens' fables, weep. Expressing a personal panache here seems to be a sign, if not an outright requirement, of reaching your senior years.













Any effort at all seems to be deemed better than none.....and admittedly, you do see some clunkers- the haphazard towel thrown around the head or the lopsided farm hat that makes the wearer look like they've lost any sense of balance.



In an environment like this it's kind of hard to shock people. Their flair helps put a foreign traveler a little more at ease. You can stand in the middle of a public square scribbling down some thought in your journal and no one bats an eye. You can wear sunglasses with crazy colored lenses and, if they do anything at all, they just laugh.
What's that? You say you've got a country where freaky is the norm? A place where they put a premium on being yourself? I like it. Sign me up.

No comments: